The Wellnest recently began partnering with Unite for Her, a nonprofit which educates women with breast cancer about the greatly beneficial impact that therapies like nutrition, acupuncture, massage, yoga and counseling can have in helping them fight their disease and manage their symptoms and side effects. Not only that, Unite for Her gives each woman they work with between $2,000 and $3,000 to pursue these therapies over the course of a year.
How do these therapies help in the fight against breast cancer?
- Nutrition: Not only is there a cancer fighting diet, but what you eat during cancer treatment can improve energy levels and fight off nausea and fatigue.
- Massage: Increases circulation, bringing fresh oxygen to all the organs. It is also found to decrease pain, anxiety and depression. Can also be used to treat lymphedema through a technique called manual lymphatic drainage.
- Acupuncture: Can improve energy levels and help with disrupted sleep. It also can reduce nausea associated with chemotherapy.
- Yoga & Meditation: Breathing exercises and yoga done in chairs with little physical exertion can help to calm the mental state and physical body, increase energy levels and improve mood.
- Counseling: Speaking with a therapist is especially helpful when going through an experience that can be frightening, stressful, exhausting and traumatic. This is true both for patients as well as their families and caretakers.
In the spirit of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I am sharing this information because many of you may know someone fighting cancer. At The Wellnest, our practitioners have deep knowledge of the benefits these therapies can have for those going through treatment for all types of cancer. We wanted to share some insights in case you wish to pass them along.
Want to read more articles like this?